Brocade VDX 8770 Switch
The Brocade VDX 8770 Switch is a highly scalable, low-latency, 1/10/40/100 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) modular switch. Designed to easily scale out Brocade VCS fabrics, the Brocade VDX 8770 Switch brings new levels of performance to VCS fabric deployments.
Designed to scale out Brocade VCS fabrics, the Brocade VDX 8770 Switch supports complex, highly dynamic environments with dense virtualization and extensive automation requirements. The Brocade VDX 8770 is a highly scalable, low-latency 1/10/40/100 GbE modular switch, available in both 8U four-slot and 15U eight-slot versions.
- Simplifies and automates network architectures to enable elastic cloud networking with Brocade VCS Fabric technology
- Manages an entire multitenant Brocade VCS fabric as a single switch through Brocade VCS Logical Chassis, with REST APIs to allow higher-level management frameworks
- Provides efficiently load-balanced multipathing at Layers 1, 2, and 3, and multiple active Layer 3 gateways
- Delivers 1/10/40/100 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) wire-speed switching with auto-trunking Inter-Switch Links (ISLs) for non-disruptive scaling
- Enables connectivity for over 1,000 server ports with scale-out fabrics, 10,000 ports with multifabrics, and 100,000 ports using multifabrics with overlays
- Simplifies Virtual Machine (VM) mobility and management with automated, dynamic port profile configuration and migration
- Is designed to support Software-Defined Networking (SDN) technologies within data, control, and management planes
- Scale-Out Performance
The Brocade VDX 8770 Switch is designed to scale out Brocade VCS fabrics and support complex environments with dense virtualization and dynamic traffic patterns—where more automation is required for operational scalability. Available in four-slot and eight-slot versions, the Brocade VDX 8770 provides a highly scalable, low-latency 100/40/10/1 GbE modular switch.
- Flexibility with Multiple Line Card Options
The Brocade VDX 8770 supports a variety of wire-speed line cards to offer maximum flexibility in terms of port bandwidth as well as cable and connector technology:
- 1 GbE: 48×1 GbE line card provides up to 48 SFP/SFP-copper ports
- 10 GbE: 48×10 GbE line card provides up to 48 SFP+ ports
- 10 GbE-T: 48×10 GbE line card provides up to 48 RJ45 ports
- 40 GbE: 12×40 GbE line card provides up to 12 40 GbE QSFP ports
- 40 GbE: 27×40 GbE line card provides up to 27 40 GbE QSFP ports
- 100 GbE: 6×100 GbE line card provides up to 6 100 GbE CFP2 ports
- Unmatched Simplicity and Automation
VCS Logical Chassis, self-forming and self-healing fabrics, and AutoFabric Provisioning simplify operations and streamlines configuration. Fabric-level REST APIs allow higher-level management frameworks to provide efficient orchestration of VCS fabrics within a cloud context. The single point of management eliminates the need to manually configure and manage each switch, simplifying management, lowering operational costs, and reducing configuration errors with the ability to push software upgrades across the fabric with a single command, accelerating deployment.
- Maximum Efficiency and Resiliency
Optimized east-west traffic and multipathing across Layers 1–3 create a flexible network that adapts to changing business conditions and traffic patterns.
- Optimized for Virtualization
A variety of features supports VM mobility and eliminates the need to manually configure port profiles.
- Support Cloud Computing
Brocade VCS Gateway for NSX unifies virtual and physical architectures while the VCS Virtual Fabric feature provides secure multitenant support.
- THE BROCADE VDX 8770 SWITCH AND BROCADE VYATTA CONTROLLER INTEROPERABILITY
The Brocade VDX 8770 Switch operates seamlessly under the Brocade Vyatta Controller. This controller is a quality-assured edition of the OpenDaylight controller code supported by an established networking provider and its leaders within the OpenDaylight community.
Brocade VDX and VCS Fabric Architecture
Older, legacy data center networks are characterized by a rigid hierarchy with access, aggregation and core layers. This model does not allow for changing traffic patterns and limits network utilization. It has limited support for server virtualization and cannot facilitate operations such as VM mobility.
Compared to classic hierarchical Ethernet architectures, Brocade VCS Fabric technology creates a more efficient and resilient network with a flat-meshed Layer 2 topology that delivers the high performance and high reliability required by data centers. Organizations gain a more flexible network that helps them rapidly adapt to changing business conditions and traffic patterns.
Compared to classic Ethernet architectures, Brocade VCS Fabric technology allows all paths to be active and provides greater scalability—while reducing management complexity.
The Brocade VDX 8770 can be used to build a variety of VCS fabric topologies to support a wide range of scale and application requirements. Architectural options include:
- Small-scale VCS fabric: Collapses access and aggregation tiers using the Brocade VDX 8770 as a port-dense, middle-of-row/end-of-row access switch.
- Medium-scale VCS fabric: Utilizes the Brocade VDX 8770 as a spine switch in combination with Brocade VDX 6710, 6730, and 6740 leaf switches to build highly scalable Layer 2 domains, complete with automatic and secure support for VM mobility.
- Large-scale VCS fabric: Uses the Brocade VDX 8770 homogeneously as both a leaf and spine switch or to aggregate multiple access-tier switches in full or partially meshed fabric domains with a logically flat network topology.
Brocade VDX 8770 Specifications
|VDX 8770-4||VDX 8770-8|
|Port-to-port latency (64 byte packets)|
|Dimensions and weight||Width: 43.74 cm (17.22 in.)
Height: 34.7 cm (13.66 in.)
Depth: 60.96 cm (26 in.)
Weight: 31.75 kg (70 lb)
Weight (fully loaded): 86.18 kg (190 lb)
|Width: 44 cm (17.32 in.)
Height: 66.2 cm (26.06 in.)
Depth: 66.04 cm (26 in.)
Weight: 61.24 kg (135 lb)
Weight (fully loaded): 165.55 kg (365 lb)
|1 GbE SFP/SFP-copper ports||192||384|
|10 GbE SFP+ ports||192||384|
|40 GbE QSFP ports||48||96|
|Power supplies||4 max||8 max|
|Airflow||Side-to-back airflow, with front-to-back duct converter option||Front-to-back airflow|
|Connector options||1 GbE copper SFP options
10 Gbps SFP+ options: 1/3/5 m direct-attached copper (Twinax)
10 GbE SR and 10 GbE LR
40 GbE QSFP
|Maximum MAC addresses||384,000|
|Maximum IPv4 routes||352,000|
|Maximum IPv6 routes||88,000|
|Maximum port profiles (AMPP)||256|
|Maximum ARP entries||128,000|
|Maximum members in a standard LAG||64|
|Maximum switches in a VCS fabric||24|
|Maximum ECMP paths in a VCS fabric||8|
|Maximum trunk members for VCS fabric ports||8|
|Maximum switches across which a vLAG can span||4|
|Maximum members in a vLAG||32|
|Maximum jumbo frame size||9216 bytes|
|DCB Priority Flow Control (PFC) classes||8|
|Brocade VDX 8770 Modules and Line Cards|
|Management Module (half-slot)||
|Gigabit Ethernet access (fiber/copper) line card||48-port SFP/SFP-copper|
|10 GbE access or aggregation line card||48-port SFP+ (10 GbE/1 GbE)|
|40 GbE aggregation line card||12-port QSFP module|
|Operating system||Brocade Network OS|
|Layer 2 switching features||
|Brocade VCS Fabric technology features||
|Quality of Service (QoS)||
|Switch health monitoring||Fabric Watch monitoring and notification|
|Management and control||
|Environmental||VDX 8770-4||VDX 8770-8|
|Temperature||Operating: 0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)
Non-operating and storage: −25°C to 70°C (−13°F to 158°F)
|Humidity||Operating: 10% to 85% non-condensing
Non-operating and storage: 10% to 90% non-condensing
|Altitude||Operating: Up to 3000 meters (9842 feet)
Non-operating and storage: Up to 12 kilometers (39,370 feet)
|Airflow||Maximum: 675 CFM
Nominal: 200 CFM
|Maximum: 1250 CFM
Nominal: 375 CFM
|Power||VDX 8770-4||VDX 8770-8|
|Max power utilization‡||4 amps max (32-port switch)||7 amps max (76-port switch)|
|Power inlet||Two internal, redundant, field-replaceable, load-sharing AC power supplies|
|Input line frequency||100 V to 240 V ~5 A to 2.5 A|
|Maximum current||47 to 63 Hz|
|Environmental Regulatory Compliance||RoHS-compliant (with lead exemption) per EU Directive 2002/95/EC|
|Standards Compliance||The Brocade VDX 8770 products conform to the following Ethernet standards:
The following draft versions of the Data Center Bridging (DCB) and Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) standards are also supported on the Brocade VDX 8770: